(WFXR) — On Tuesday, forecasters with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced another “above-average” Atlantic hurricane season is in store for 2022.

This would make the 2022 season the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season.

NOAA predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

A summary infographic showing hurricane season probability and numbers of named storms predicted from NOAA’s 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook. (Photo courtesy: NOAA)

The outlook forecasts 14 to 21 named storms, which are noted by winds of 39 miles per hour or higher. Of those named storms, six to 10 could become hurricanes with winds of 74 miles per hour or higher. Three to six of those storms could become major hurricanes, which are considered category 3 or greater.

Here is what NOAA has as an average season in the Atlantic Basin. The forecast is falling within the parameters of “average” if you take the low end of the average. It does show that the high end of the forecast range is well above normal.

Forecasters with Colorado State University have also forecast an active season. The group predicts that 19 named storms will develop during the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. Of those named storms, nine are expected to become hurricanes. Four storms are slated to become major hurricanes.

The Atlantic hurricane season officially starts June 1 and ends Nov. 30.

NOAA would like to remind the public that this outlook is for overall seasonal activity and is not a landfall forecast. The Climate Prediction Center will update the 2022 Atlantic seasonal outlook in early August, just before the peak of the season.