CENTRAL VA (WFXR) –The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality issued a code red health alert in counties across Central Virginia because of the increased smoke in the area from the wildfire at Matts Creek.
Due to air quality concerns, multiple school districts will be closed on Nov. 17 to ensure the safety of students and staff. All classes will be canceled in the following areas on Friday:
- Amherst County Public School
- Bedford County Public Schools
- Buena Vista City Public Schools
- Lexington City Public Schools
- Rockbridge County Public Schools
School districts will monitor conditions over the weekend. WFXR News will update this story as further information is released.