BLACKSBURG, Va. (WFXR) — A grill fire spread through an entire building on Monday, August 21st in Blacksburg. Police reported no injuries and say everyone made it out safely.

The fire spread from the grill to each of the four apartments in the building, causing major damage, according to police. Virginia Tech spokesperson, Mark Owczarski says that 16 students have been displaced as a result, but they are working to make sure the students have the books, computers, and clothes necessary to get to class and succeed academically.

“We’ve been working with our folks here at Virginia Tech to make sure can assist them in every way we can. The first week of school is a critical time to get students into the classrooms… begin their work and all of that. and we have 16 students now that are perhaps going to be thinking about other things in the immediate future.” – Mark Owczarski, Virginia Tech University spokesperson

Blacksburg Police and Fire are working with the college to ensure they have housing and other needs met.

WFXR News will continue to deliver update-to-date information as it is available.