Wife: Ex-Red Sox slugger Ortiz recovering from 3rd surgery

Sports

Police officers escort suspects implicated in the shooting of former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, Víctor Hugo Gómez Vázquez, left, and Alberto Rodríguez Mota, right, out of the courtroom in Santo Domingo Este, Dominican Republic, Saturday, June 29, 2019. Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic on Sunday, June 9. (AP Photo/Tatiana Fernandez)

Friday Night Blitz Team Pages:

BOSTON (AP) — Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering from a third surgery after experiencing complications resulting from his gunshot wound.

Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany, says in a statement Thursday that he is “recovering well and in good spirits.” He had the surgery earlier this week at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic last month. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man who was sitting near him at the club.

Police say a suspected drug trafficker offered to pay $30,000 for the shooting.

Police say they’ve arrested 14 people in the case, including the suspected gunman, and are searching for others.

___

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Download the WFXR News App

Latest Scores