Score: Roanoke 64 | Randolph 39
Records: Maroons 2-1, 1-0 ODAC | WildCats 1-3, 0-1 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: The Roanoke women opened up Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play when they hosted Randolph on Wednesday night. The Maroons raced out to a 23-9 first quarter lead and pulled away to go 1-0 in conference play to start the season.
How it Happened:
- RC started the game strong on both ends of the floor. Whitney Hopson recorded a steal, assist, blocked shot, and a layup all in the first 1:30 of the game as Roanoke welcomed the WildCats with an 11-0 run to start the night.
- Randolph would score six of the next eight points, but it did little to slow down the Maroons. Five straight Kayla Kinsler points were followed up by a Molly Hassell three-pointer as RC closed the period on a 10-3 surge.
- Both teams struggled in the second quarter as the visitors went to a zone defense in hopes of slowing RC down. Roanoke struggled from the field, 4-13, but a Renee Alquiza free throw right before the half allowed the Maroons to increase their advantage to 15 at the break.
- The third period would see the Roanoke defense completely shut down their guests, holding Randolph to just 20% shooting. Corinne McPadden came off the bench at went a perfect, 3-3 from the field on her way to seven points. At the end of the period, Roanoke enjoyed a 25 point cushion.
- Both teams went deep into their benches during a fourth quarter that would see the teams play to a 14-14 draw.
- A balanced offensive attack would see 12, different, Maroons in the scoring column. McPadden and Kristina Harrel would lead the way with nine points apiece while Aquiza finished with eight points and a game high 10 rebounds in just 16 minutes of play.
- Roanoke forced 34 turnovers by the WildCats, while holding Randolph to 32% shooting from the field and 26.7% from behind the three-point line.
Up next: Roanoke will travel to Staunton to face Mary Baldwin on Saturday afternoon at 2:00pm.