SALEM, Va (WFXR) –The Maroons welcomed Emory & Henry to the Cregger Center for an early week matchup. The game marked the first of the season for the Wasps while Roanoke looked to get the season off to a 4-0 start in conference play. A 17-2 run late in the first half allowed the Maroons to pull away and cruise to their fourth Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) win in as many tries.
Score: Roanoke 81 | Emory & Henry 52
Records: Maroons 4-1, 4-0 ODAC | Wasps 0-1, 0-1 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke controlled the opening tip, Tripp Greene scored five straight and after an Efosa Edosomwan layup, the Maroons had gotten off to a quick 7-0 start.
- Emory & Henry would score seven of the next nine to trim the RC lead, 9-7.
- Brandon Ellington and Edosomwan would combine to give Roanoke another 7-0 surge to re-take control of the matchup.
- A Liam Bonk layup made it a five point affair, 19-14, before the Maroons embarked on their dominate run.
- Over the next seven minutes of play, RC would out-score their guests 17-2. During the run, Kasey Draper and Justin Kuthan would each score six points and the Maroons would enjoy a 43-25 advantage at the break.
- The second half would once again see a Roanoke run to start the frame. This time the Maroons would score ten straight culminating with another Kuthan layup and the lead had grown to 53-25.
- Roanoke would continue to build on their advantage all through the second half and when senior Max Menzel scored on the left block, the Maroons had built a 32 point lead heading into the final minute of play.
- Kuthan netted a game high 17 to go with seven rebounds while Draper finished with 16 and six boards. Edosomwan added 15 to go with seven boards with Ellington and Trent Dawson scoring nine apiece. Dawson would hand out four assists with Kuthan and Draper each recording a blocked shot.
- Robert Holiday Jr. completed a double-double for the Wasps with 17 points and a game high 10 rebounds. Bonk added 10 points for E&H.
Up next: Roanoke was scheduled to make the trip to Virginia Beach on Friday to face the Marlins, but the game has been canceled due to pandemic protocols. Instead, RC will play host to Randolph College, in a non-conference matchup, on Tuesday the 9th at 7:00pm.