ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke City Public Schools athletes are getting back into the game on Monday after the school district introduced its “Return to Play” protocols on Friday.
According to Roanoke City Public Schools, starting Monday, Jan. 11, students may:
- Participate in swim and track meets
- Resume regular practices for basketball
- Continue wrestling and cheerleading workouts
Athletic directors will share information about any athletic event schedule changes, but you can also check out updated athletic schedules on www.riverridgedistrict.org for Patrick Henry High, or www.blueridgedistrictva.org for William Fleming.
Roanoke school officials say they are continuing to monitor local and regional health metrics, as well as operational considerations in order to determine how to move forward in resuming school system activities.
“To that end, they believe they can safely align athletics and performing arts events with the academic schedule,” the school district posted on Facebook on Friday, Jan. 8.
In an effort to get the students back to competitive play, Roanoke City Public Schools is working to determine whether games will be able to take place safely between Patrick Henry and William Fleming high schools in the coming weeks.
If these games are able to occur, school officials say face coverings will be required and spectators will not be allowed, but the games will be livestreamed as much as possible.
Meanwhile, another goal for the district is to implement school-based athletic programs at each middle school starting in February. For more information about middle school sports, follow this link.
In addition, school officials say performing arts will continue ensemble rehearsals using safety precautions currently in place. Both high schools will reportedly begin preparing for their spring musicals in February, with dates announced on the district website in the near future.
- Pinpoint Weather: Cold front brings windy and colder weather
- To be continued: Tech wrestler Korbin Myers decides to return for an encore
- COVID-19 precautions being taken as the NCAA Division III Men’s Volleyball Tournament begins in Salem Wednesday
- VHSL Volleyball Class 3 State Semifinals : Hidden Valley at Rustburg
- VHSL Volleyball Class 2 State Semifinals : Gate City at Giles