Score: Roanoke 76 | Randolph-Macon 82
Records: Maroons 2-1 / 0-1 ODAC | Yellow Jackets 2-0 / 2-0 ODAC
Location: Ashland, Va.
The Lead: After starting the season with back-to-back road wins, the Marrons traveled to Ashland to face the reigning Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) champions from Randolph-Macon. Roanoke found themselves down by nine early in the fourth quarter, a rally would see the deficit cut to two, but RMC would grab a pair of offensive rebounds and go 4-4 from the line to hang on for the 82-76 ODAC win.
How it Happened:
- Kayla Kinsler got Roanoke on the board first but eight straight by RMC would give the Yellow Jackets the early lead.
- The Maroons would rally to tie the game twice in advance of a Morgan Micallef score to once again see RC out front. A final Macon hoop would tie the game at 14-14 after the first period of play.
- Nine of the next 11 would go the way of Randolph-Macon, giving the home team a seven point edge. Kristina Harrel scored five straight o pull RC with within a single score with six minutes before the half.
- A 13-8 run would give the Yellow Jackets their largest lead of the first half, but Kinsler hit a pair of free throws to make it 36-30 at the break.
- RMC would push their lead to double digits at the six minute mark, however, Renee Alquiza and Micallef would each score to make it a six point game going into the final frame.
- The Roanoke deficit would grow to nine before a late game rally.
- With 3:30 left to play, Sayre Brandstatter scored a fast break layup to bring Roanoke to within three.
- Randolph-Macon hit one of two from the stripe, then RC made it a one possession game when Kinsler penetrated to the left block for the lay in. The Yellow Jackets would answer on their next possession.
- After a missed three-pointer, the Roanoke defense got the stop they needed and Alquiza took a pass from Harrel to make it a two point game with less than 2:00 to play.
- An offensive foul would give the ball back to Maroons with a chance to tie or take the lead, but a go-ahead three-pointer was off the mark.
- Roanoke got a pair of stops but each time the Yellow Jackets came up with the offensive rebound and the Maroons were forced to foul. The home team went 4-4 from the line to seal the game and pick up the six point win.
- Harrel and Rose Sande each had a team high 12, with Sande grabbing nine rebounds. Kinsler, Micallef, and Brandstatter would all finish with 10, making it five Maroons in double figures.
- Cheridan Hatfield scored 27 while handing out seven assists.
Up next: The Maroons were scheduled to play Guilford College on Friday night, however the Quakers suspended women’s basketball play due to the pandemic. Eastern Mennonite will make the trip to Salem as Roanoke plays host to the Royals in their first home game of the season this Sunday at 2:00pm.