JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Trailing host Jacksonville by eight points heading to the fourth quarter, Liberty pulled out an important ASUN victory with a sensational final 10 minutes. The Lady Flames outscored the Dolphins 24-10 during the fourth quarter of a gritty 65-59 triumph at Swisher Gymnasium.
Liberty (13-11, 6-5 ASUN) completed a season sweep of the Dolphins, pulling into a third-place tie with Jacksonville and North Florida in the conference standings. The Lady Flames shot 66.7 percent (6-of-9) during the decisive final period while holding the Dolphins to 10 percent (2-of-20).
Jacksonville falls to 14-10 overall and 6-5 in the ASUN after a physical game which featured 51 fouls, 56 free throws and four player disqualifications. The Dolphins led by as many as 11 points during the third quarter before Liberty’s late rally.
Box Score Highlights
Liberty Individuals: Keyen Green – 13 points; Asia Todd – 11 points, 5 rebounds; Bridgette Rettstatt – 11 points, 5 rebounds; Mya McMillian – 10 points, 5 rebounds; Emily Lytle – 10 points, 3-8 3FG; Ashtyn Baker – 8 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists.
Jacksonville Individuals: Da’Nasia Shaw – 14 points, 5 rebounds; Shakayla Nevitt – 12 points.
Key Team Stats: Liberty shot 42.6 percent (20-of-47) from the field, including 59.1 percent (13-of-22) after halftime. Meanwhile, Jacksonville ended at 28.8 percent (17-of-59) from the floor. The Lady Flames shot 70.4 percent (19-of-27) from the free throw line, while the Dolphins were 69 percent (20-of-29). The Lady Flames ended with a 41-37 rebounding advantage, including 15-10 in the fourth quarter.
Keyen Green set the tone for the fourth quarter by scoring the Lady Flames’ first eight points of the period before fouling out with 4:16 to play.
Teammates stepped up in Green’s absence, as Asia Todd put Liberty ahead for good at 55-52 with a three-pointer on the Lady Flames’ next trip to the offensive end.
Audrey Clark later beat the shot clock buzzer with a jumper with just under a minute to play, doubling the Lady Flames’ lead from two to four (59-55).
Liberty then hit six of eight foul shots to keep the Dolphins at bay.
• After a slow start, Liberty took an 11-7 lead with an 8-0 run which included four free throws. The Lady Flames did not trail for the remainder of the opening period and took a 16-13 edge into the second quarter thanks to Emily Lytle’s three-pointer just before the buzzer.
• Liberty went the final 7:26 of the first half without a made field goal. Jacksonville outscored the Lady Flames 15-2 during that time, with eight of the points coming from the foul line, to take a 32-23 halftime lead. The Dolphins made 12-of-15 free throws during the opening 20 minutes, including 10-of-13 during the second stanza.
• Jacksonville’s lead reached 11 (41-30) when Mariah Batz’s third triple of the evening swished through the net at the 5:36 mark of the third quarter.
• Bridgette Rettstatt helped Liberty battle back by scoring seven straight points for the Lady Flames. However, the Dolphins’ Shekayla Nevitt later answered with seven consecutive points of her own and JU remained on top 49-41 at the conclusion of the period.
• Six different players scored points for the Lady Flames during the decisive final period, led by Keyen Green’s eight.
Notes and Nuggets
• Liberty put five players in double figures in the scoring column for the first time this season.
• Green has now scored in double digits in 10 of 11 ASUN games but saw her streak end at 16 straight free throws made.
• Lytle’s three triples give her 101 for her Liberty career, making her the 12th Lady Flame ever to knock down 100 trifectas. She has posted four straight double-digit scoring efforts, hitting 13 three-pointers during the stretch.
• Baker’s team-high nine rebounds matched her career high.
• The Lady Flames are now 4-1 all-time versus Jacksonville, having won their last four meetings with the Dolphins.
• Liberty has now overcome a double-digit deficit to win twice during ASUN play this season (also Jan. 18 vs. Lipscomb).
Liberty will open a three-game homestand Saturday at 2 p.m. when the Lady Flames welcome NJIT (4-19, 1-9 ASUN) to the Vines Center. The Lady Flames tipped off ASUN Conference play with a 67-53 victory at NJIT on Jan. 4.
Date: Saturday, February 15, 2020
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Vines Center)
Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg)
Tipoff: 2 p.m.