Score: Roanoke 70 | Hollins 61
Records: Maroons 15-8, 11-6 | Hollins 11-13, 5-12
Location: Roanoke, Va.
The Lead: Hollins would erase an 18 point deficit to take a one-point lead with just over five minutes to play, but the RC women would close the game on a 13-3 run to win their regular season road finale by nine.
How it Happened:
- With a one-point lead, Kristina Harrel scored six of the Maroons next eight points to stake Roanoke to a 14-10 advantage.
- Hollins responded with a 9-1 surge to take their largest lead of the opening frame.
- A Morgan Micallef layup and Sayre Brandstatter free throw would make the deficit a single point heading into the second quarter.
- RC would dominate the first half of the second period, coming out of the break with a 17-2 run, and after an Ajah Alexander free throw would see their lead grow to 35-21.
- A Brandstatter three and Molly Hassell layup, Roanoke enjoyed their largest lead of the first half, 18 points.
- Hollins would answer with the half’s final four points cutting the Roanoke lead to 14 at the break.
- The Maroons would hold a double-digit lead until Serena Lytton scored four straight, making it a 49-40 game with 4:20 left in the third.
- Lytton hit another three-pointer with 18 ticks on the clock to cut the Maroons lead to just three points before Brandstatter answered with four ticks left to give RC a six point edge heading into the fourth quarter.
- Hollins netted the first six points of the frame to tie the game at 57-57 with just eight minutes left to play.
- Neither team would score for almost three minutes, then the ODAC’s leading scorer Kayla Surles hit one of two free throws to allow Hollins to retake the lead.
- With just over 5:00 on the clock, Ayanna Scarborough hit a jump shot, igniting an 11-1 Roanoke rally that would put the game away.
- Harrel led a quartet of Maroons in double figures. Brandstatter netted 14 off the bench with Scarborough scoring 11 and Micallef adding 10.
- Renee Alquiza grabbed a team high eight boards while Micallef had six rebounds and three assists.
Up next: The women will wrap up the regular season in the Cregger Center on Saturday afternoon when they face Eastern Mennonite on Senior Day at 4:30pm.