CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — The Virginia football team is headed to its first Capital One Orange Bowl after suffering a lopsided loss to Clemson in the ACC championship Saturday night.
The Cavaliers will face Florida on Monday, Dec. 30 at 8 p.m. in Miami Gardens’ Hard Rock Stadium.
The Orange Bowl will be UVA’s third consecutive bowl appearance in Bronco Mendenhall’s four years as head coach. Last season, the Cavaliers shut out South Carolina, 28-0, in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.
Less than 24 hours before learning its bowl fate, Virginia made its first-ever appearance in the ACC championship game, falling to Clemson, 62-17. Overall, the Cavaliers finished the season 9-4 while the Gators are 10-2 and second in the SEC’s East Division.
According to UVA, this marks the first football game between Virginia and Florida since 1959, where the Gators won 55-10.
Tickets for the Cavalier fans’ designated seating section at Hard Rock Stadium are on sale now at UVATix.com.
- City Manager for Roanoke City releases update as protests continue
- WATCH LIVE: Crowds gather at National Civil Rights Museum for protest
- Protests heat up across US, governors call in National Guard
- Two Virginia Walmarts close for evening due to ‘potential threat’
- Danville Public Schools offer meal distribution sites for summer feeding program