CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Last week, we told you about former Lord Botetourt Cavaliers football player Jake Dewease earning his Virginia Cavaliers football number 51 jersey for the team. At Virginia, players have to meet certain benchmarks before they earn the right to select their jersey number.
it has been this way since Bronco Mendenhall became head coach at UVA in 2016. “The number process at UVA is a little different it is a earned not given program so you have to go out and earn it. This year we call our scout team the Mad Hatter. So I won Mad Hatter player of the week honor. Which is the requirement to get it through the season. It is a true honor to get it. I am really excited about that,” said Virginia redshirt freshman Jake Dewease. “Jake just tries hard every day. He just tries hard which is so valuable for life. He’s tough, he’s competitive and he just tries hard every single day. If I could say that and have a program that does that and develops people like that, it’s worth having a football team for that reason,” said Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall.
Dewease says it was special to get the jersey honor through his peers.
- Big tech CEOs grilled in Senate hearing
- UPDATE: Rural Southwest Virginia surge of new cases continues
- Small businesses can now receive up to $100K in coronavirus support as part of Rebuild VA program
- Kroger to hold virtual hiring event for open positions across southwest, central Virginia
- Staff member at Troutville Elementary reportedly tests positive for COVID-19