SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — The Roanoke College women’s basketball team welcomed Christopher Newport to the Cregger Center for one final tune-up before starting play in the 2021 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Tournament. The matchup with the Captains would be played as an exhibition game. The score would remain close throughout with the Maroons holding a one-point lead in the final seconds. A three-point play in the final two seconds would be the difference as Christopher Newport claimed the 75-73 victory.
How it Happened:
- RC would race out to an early lead. Renee Alquiza got the scoring started with a three-pointer before five straight by Kristina Harrel made it an 8-2 advantage.
- Whitney Hopson gave the Maroons their largest lead of the night and capped a 10-2 start.
- With just under two minutes remaining in the first quarter, a Rose Sande triple would push the Roanoke advantage back to six, but CNU trimmed the deficit to three. Alquiza netted a layup and the home team enjoyed a 23-18 lead after one period of play.
- Roanoke would struggle with the Captain’s pressure during the second frame, turning the ball over 13 times as CNU tied the score at 31-31 with two minutes left before the half.
- The Captains scored the final points of the half and took a 34-31 edge into the locker room.
- The second half would go back and forth with 10 lead changes and 10 ties during the game.
- Roanoke would take a six point lead on a Sande layup but a 9-3 CNU run would tie it at 49-49 with one minute in the third. A Sayre Brandstatter three and layup by Alquiza would allow Roanoke to take a 54-52 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- Neither team could pull away and after another Alquiza three-ball, CNU would enjoy a 72-71 edge with 1:55 left on the clock.
- Both teams missed opportunities and the Maroons took a timeout with just 16 seconds left to play. JaBryah Haverkamp hit a jumper in the lane to stake RC to a 73-72 lead with five seconds on the clock.
- Newport took a timeout to move the ball to half court, setting up the final play. Anaya Simmons took the ball to the rim and scored while being fouled. She completed the three-point play for a two-point edge with two seconds to play.
- The Maroons took their final timeout but failed to get the ball inbounds as CNU would hold on for the 75-73 win.
- Alquiza and Sande each scored 16 with Haverkamp adding 14. Morgan Micallef grabbed a team high eight rebounds with Harrel and Brandstatter each handing out four assists.
Up next: With the #4 seed in the 2021 ODAC Women’s Basketball Tournament, Roanoke will host Shenandoah on Friday evening at 5:00pm.