GOSHEN, Va. (WFXR) — The American Red Cross is assisting a man after his home went up in flames on Saturday morning.

Chief Mike Jolly, with the Goshen Volunteer Fire Department, told WFXR News that the call came in, around 6 a.m. on Nov. 4, for a fire in the 800 block of Rockbridge Alum Springs Road. Upon arrival, crews found smoke and flames coming from a mobile home.

Crews on the scene of a mobile home fire in Goshen on Saturday morning. (Photo courtesy: Rockbridge Baths Volunteer Fire Department)

Jolly says while on the scene, first responders learned the owner was sleeping when his dog woke him up. That’s when he was able to escape through the window.

The man sustained minor injuries and hurt his shoulder. However, his dog passed away.

Chief Jolly says the owner explained to firefighters that he put a wood stove in the living room. During the investigation, officials confirmed the living room was the hottest part of the trailer. As a result, Chief Jolly said the cause of the fire was determined to be from the stove.

WFXR News will update this story as additional information is released.