PROVIDENCE, RI (AP) — Rhode Island mistakenly sent more than 175 tax refund checks signed by Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse, rather than the state treasurer and controller.
The Rhode Island Division of Taxation uses the signatures on test files, which were mistakenly printed on the real checks and sent out on Monday, a spokesperson told WPRI-TV.
“No other signature lines were printed besides the two,” said Jade Borgeson, chief of staff for the Rhode Island Department of Revenue, which includes the taxation division.
The checks were tax refunds for corporate, sales and tax credits mostly to businesses, WJAR-TV reported.
The tax division has voided the checks and will issue new checks signed by General Treasurer Seth Magaziner and State Controller Peter Keenan within one week, Borgeson said.
- Army reservist from Roanoke becomes fourth military death from the coronavirus
- Christian Miller opts out of 2020 season, Carolina Panthers say
- Carolina Panthers release longtime kicker Graham Gano
- 6 states including Virginia join compact to expand rapid antigen testing
- Virginia first state to try pandemic app from Apple, Google