Barre, N.Y. — Residents of a small town in upstate New York have two questions on their minds: How did a giant safe end up in the middle of a farmer’s field and what could be inside?
“It could be holding millions of dollars. It could have confetti in there,” said Cindy Vanlieshout, of the Barre Betterment Committee. “You have no idea.”
Locals and authorities alike have tried — and failed — to crack the safe.
“They took a sledgehammer to it, knocked off the dial and handle,” said Mathes. “They worked on the hinges, kind of beat it up.”
Mathes, who was out of town when the safe was discovered in his field, said he doesn’t know who left it there. But he now plans to hide it, saying it’s more fun to leave it locked.
“If you open it, the show’s over,” he said. “In these times, with the virus and the politics, it might give people a chance to set their problems or troubles aside and have a lot of fun talking about it.”
- Vinton offers variety of holiday activities despite cancellation of Thursday’s Christmas parade
- Olympic rings back up in Tokyo Bay, serving as sign of hope amid pandemic
- VDH Tuesday update: 2,228 new coronavirus cases, 31 new deaths reported around Virginia
- Nurse brags on TikTok about defying COVID-19 restrictions, put on administrative leave
- President Trump says he opposes renaming some Army bases as part of defense bill