Unattended cooking causes kitchen fire in Danville

News

Courtesy: Danville Fire Department

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Fire crews in Danville responded to reports of a fire on the 500 block of Keen Street just before 7:00 p.m. Tuesday night.

Crews arrived to find light smoke coming from the front door of the house.

They were able to contain the fire to the kitchen.

Residents were able to get out of the house safely.

According to Battalion Chief Brian Alderson, the residents were in the front section of the house when a smoke alarm alerted them of the fire.

That alarm had been installed by the Danville Fire Department several years ago. Alderson says a quick call to 911 helped limit damage to the house.

The cause of the fire was unattended cooking. Residents will not be allowed to live in the house until repairs are made.

They will be staying with family Tuesday night, and will be receiving assistance from the Red Cross.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form