LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — A fire at a duplex on Monday in Lynchburg resulted in the arrest of two people.
Lynchburg Fire Department determined the fire on the 2100 block of Carrington Road began in the basement when a person dropped a cigarette on the carpeted floor.
The occupants of the basement were squatters, whom the residents in the other apartments were not aware were occupying, said John Norman, Lynchburg’s Deputy Chief Fire Marshall.
The building was evacuated, including the family of four who lived in the apartment above the basement.
No injuries were reported.
The Lynchburg Police Department arrested the squatters and charged them with trespassing and intoxication, Norman said.
WFXR reached out to the police for more information, but they were not available for comment.
- Biden begins nominating cabinet members as Trump continues to fight election results
- Pinpoint Weather: Dry pattern to start the short work week
- Blacksburg Police seek help identifying people wanted in credit card fraud investigation
- Carilion Clinic to conduct Covid-19 Seroprevalence study for Southwest Virginia
- Amplified Immunity during the pandemic with Nature’s Outlet