UPDATE (2:52 p.m.) — Lynchburg Police say that the 15-year-old boy has been charged with second degree murder and use of a firearm in commission of a felony after Saturday night’s fatal shooting.
Officers also served the teenager with an outstanding juvenile detention order at the time of his arrest.
LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The Lynchburg Police Department has arrested a teenage boy in connection to Saturday night’s homicide on Gum Street.
According to the press release, police received a call at 8:12 p.m. about a malicious wounding in the 2000 block of Hazel Street. Officers arrived on the scene to find a 15-year-old boy shot in the arm.
With some assistance from a K9 officer, authorities say that they quickly found 31-year-old Darius Saunders, Jr. shot in the chest in the 600 block of Gum Street.
Officers and medics tried to to save him, but Saunders did not survive. Police arrested the 15-year-old boy for Saunders’ homicide.
Further details will be released as the investigation continues.
If you have information about this incident, please call Det. J. Tucker at (434) 455-6116 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 798-5900. You can also enter a tip online by following this link or using the P3 app on any mobile device.
- Washington County Sheriff: Second attempted murder suspect in custody Friday morning
- Closures in place on US-460 West in Campbell County after tractor-trailer crash
- University of Virginia cancels May graduation amid pandemic
- Emergency allotments to continue for SNAP households in March
- Beware of scammers trying to sell government healthcare coverage