Students plan walkout after school receives “ethnic cleansing” threat

News
student walkout_1553612553011.jpg.jpg
Students at a public high school in Charlottesville left classes Monday to demand racial justice days after the district’s schools closed over threats of ethnic cleansing.
 
News outlets report the walkout was led by the Black Student Union at Charlottesville High School, which was the target of the threats posted online last week.
 
The school system says about 130 students from the high school and 21 from Buford Middle School took part in the walkout.
 
The district’s nine public schools closed Thursday and Friday over the threats against the school’s black and Hispanic students. A teenager is charged in the threats.
 
The student union says the threats showcase the districts’ struggle with inequality and white supremacy.
 
School spokeswoman Krissy Vick says issues highlighted by the group are being addressed.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form