Students at Carlisle School treated for Freon exposure

News

MARTINSVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – Earlier today, students and staff at Carlisle School were evacuated due to an air conditioning unit that malfunctioned resulting in the unit overheating and causing a Freon leak.

According to a release from the school, at approximately 11:23 a.m., Carlisle School’s Upper School students and staff were evacuated to a safe area on campus due to an unusual odor and smoke in two Upper School classrooms. Public safety personnel were notified and came to assess the situation. These who were exposed to the odor were attended to immediately by medical personnel. It is not immediately known how many students were treated.

Following an evaluation, officials decided to close the school for the day to allow technicians to work on the system. The malfunctioning unit was removed and a new one is being installed.

“Our top priority is always the safety and well-being of our students and staff. We want to thank our Public Safety and Fire Officials who responded so quickly.”

Gracie Agnew, Head of Carlisle School

The issue was confined to one room. The problem was with a compressor in the air conditioning unit in that room. Students will return to class as planned on Tuesday, following the Labor Day holiday.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form