ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — It is college application season and it turns out area seniors do not have to go far from home to get one of the best college educations in Virginia.
A study from WalletHub lists the University of Virginia in Charlottesville as the top college or university in the Commonwealth. The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg came in at number two.
In our area, several colleges and universities made the list.
Number four on the list was Washington and Lee University in Lexington, followed at number five by neighbor Virginia Military Institute.
Virginia Tech in Blacksburg is ranked number six.
“To help college-bound seniors choose the best schools within their states, WalletHub compared over 1,000 higher-education institutions in the U.S. based on 33 key measures grouped into seven categories, such as Student Selectivity, Cost & Financing and Career Outcomes,” the website told WFXRtv.com by email. “The data set ranges from student-faculty ratio to graduation rate to post-attendance median salary.”
The study also ranked top schools nationally. Four of the five best colleges and universities in America are based at schools in the northeast and New England. Those schools are:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- Princeton University
- Yale University
- Stanford University
You can find the complete rankings on WalletHub’s website.
- The Drumstick Dash idea came from a neighboring state
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, essential workers among list of Time Person of the Year reader poll nominees
- Days after circuit court orders Yellow Finch Tree Sitters to leave, “we’re still here.”
- COVID-19 hospitalization numbers released from the Near Southwest Region of Virginia
- Virginia Opens 2020-21 Season With a Loss at UCF