ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) – Police in Roanoke have made an arrest regarding the murders of April Barnicoat and Eric Surface.
William Ray, 23, of Vinton was arrested and is being charged with two counts of first-degree murder, according to police.
The incident stems from the murders of Barnicoat and Surface which occurred on March 1, 2020. Police say both individuals were found dead inside of a residence of the 1600 block of Queen Anne Drive SE after police arrived on-scene for a wellness check.
As the investigation into the murders continued, detectives identified Ray as a person of interest. Police are saying the victims and Ray knew each other.
Police continued to follow additional leads into the case and collected evidence and were able to speak to Ray on Friday, July 31, when he was taken into custody.
The Roanoke City Grand Jury indicted Ray on two counts of first-degree murder.
- Man dead following triple shooting on Timothy Avenue in Norfolk
- New restaurant to open this spring at Bernard’s Landing
- Health districts in far SWVA begin COVID-19 vaccine Phase 1b of residents age 16-64 with underlying health conditions
- USDA announces $42M investment in distance learning, telemedicine infrastructure to improve education
- Child tax credit vs. child care tax credit: Here’s how each could give more money to parents this year