(WFXR) – On Friday, the Virginia Sheriff’s Association gave a presentation to members of the Public Safety Committee.
In their report, the Sheriff’s Association weighed in on proposed criminal justice reform, saying they did not support decriminalizing marijuana and opposed outright legalization.
The report also said law enforcement, including State Police, local departments and Sheriff’s departments get about 8,500 calls for service per day.
In September of 2019, Virginia had more than 28,000 people in jail or prison.
They also said of all the people incarcerated in September, only five were in jail just on charges of marijuana possession.
- Stanley helps Duke blow past Virginia Tech 88-64
- Syracuse rallies to earn 79-72 win over Georgia Tech
- Dawes’ career-best 22 leads Clemson past Boston College 82-64
- Two injured, charges pending after multi-vehicle crash along US 501 South in Lynchburg
- No. 8 Florida State slips past Wolfpack 67-61