(WFXR) – On Friday, the Virginia Sheriff’s Association gave a presentation to members of the Public Safety Committee.
In their report, the Sheriff’s Association weighed in on proposed criminal justice reform, saying they did not support decriminalizing marijuana and opposed outright legalization.
The report also said law enforcement, including State Police, local departments and Sheriff’s departments get about 8,500 calls for service per day.
In September of 2019, Virginia had more than 28,000 people in jail or prison.
They also said of all the people incarcerated in September, only five were in jail just on charges of marijuana possession.
- ‘Very gruesome’: Tennessee hunter found shot multiple times on his rental property
- Do I have salmonella poisoning, or is it something else entirely?
- Everything your lawn needs in the fall in order to survive winter
- Colorado teen wins chess championship just months after brain surgery
- The 2021 Hess toy truck… is a plane?
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.