VIRGINIA (WRIC) — Listen up, Virginians! Tax-free weekend shopping weekend starts this Friday, Aug. 7, and lasts through Sunday at midnight.
During the weekend, you won’t have to pay sales tax and can save when buying school supplies, clothing, shoes and emergency preparedness items.
Virginia’s 4.3 percent state sales tax, the 1 percent local option tax and other applicable regional taxes are waived on the following eligible items:
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear:
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products:
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products:
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for non-commercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
Fore more information on Virginia’s sales tax holiday, click here.
- Child tax credit: Enhanced credit could be extended through 2025
- Official: Virginia mental hospitals dangerously full
- Man says 7-year-old daughter ’embarrassed’ after student, then teacher cut her hair
- Man fatally shot by sheriff’s deputy in Elizabeth City, North Carolina
- Pittsylvania County residents to vote on sales tax referendum