CULPEPER, Va. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy in Virginia has fatally shot a man while responding to a report of a domestic dispute.
Virginia State Police said the shooting happened around 2:40 p.m. Thursday in Culpeper, about 30 minutes after law enforcement arrived on scene and found Ellis A. Frye, Jr. sitting on the porch with a firearm.
Authorities say officers tried to deescalate the situation while Frye went in and out of the home and produced more firearms.
They say the deputy shot Frye as he began to move toward the officers while still armed.
The 62-year-old Culpeper man died at a hospital.
- Border crossing briefly shuts down as asylum-seekers try to enter U.S.
- How Cabo Fish Taco is participating in Downtown Roanoke Restaurant Week
- How to enjoy a Saturday of biking with Cardinal Bicycle
- Why knowing your food is “100% grown on American soil” is so important with Pictsweet Farms
- Former Northside, Virginia Tech soccer player Daniel Pereira selected first overall in MLS SuperDraft