Virginia sees spike in carbon monoxide poisonings amid recent winter weather

Virginia News

(WFXR) — With all the subfreezing temperatures and wintry precipitation over the last few days, Virginia has seen a spike in carbon monoxide poisonings.

Last weekend, the director of the Virginia Poison Center says he treated 22 patients in one day, which is more than the center usually sees in six months.

If you are using a generator to heat your home or use electricity, you are advised to keep it at least 20 feet away from your home.

“With high concentrations, you would go to sleep and not wake up,” said Dr. Rutherford Rose, the director of the Virginia Poison Center. “I mean, it could cause unconsciousness, and at very high concentrations, it could be fatal.”

Rose says it is important to inspect your chimney or heating system to make sure your home is properly ventilated.

In addition, he recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector on every floor and checking the batteries regularly.

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form