VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia Aquarium released a Loggerhead turtle who had been injured earlier this summer.
Officials say the turtle, whom officials named Thallium, was accidentally hooked in the mouth earlier this summer and also showed signs of a vessel interaction wound.
The Aquarium’s naming theme this year is the Periodic Table and that is how Thallium got its name.
Dr. Ally from the Aquarium reportedly “removed the hook & a dead piece of bone from the carapace associated with the wound to aid in healing.”
The turtle was monitored and placed on antibiotics as its healing progressed.
As the staff hoped for, Thallium reportedly responded to the treatment well and was released earlier this month.
- Anxiety 2020: Voters worry about safety at the polls
- 2021 income tax brackets released: Where do you stand?
- Giles County Public Schools shares plans to double in-person learning days for younger students starting Nov. 16
- Tracking the Tropics: Zeta becomes hurricane again in the Gulf of Mexico
- President Trump’s campaign website hacked in cryptocurrency scam