(WDVM/WFXR) — Gov. Ralph Northam announced Friday the Virginia Supreme Court granted his request for a statewide eviction moratorium through Sept. 7.
This means landlords will not be able to evict tenants for being unable to pay rent until Sept. 7, unless the date is further extended.
“As the ongoing Congressional stalemate leaves Virginians without federal housing protection, this is a critical step towards keeping families safely in their homes,” said Northam in a Facebook post on Friday, Aug. 7.
MORE NEWS FROM WDVM
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- Botetourt County leaders accept committee’s report on Confederate monument, further discussions expected
- Sen. Patrick Leahy taken to hospital
- In-home daycare operator in Norfolk charged with murder in 2-year-old girl’s death
- Virginia’s only private prison is routinely short-staffed and in breach of its contract with the state