(WRIC) — The United States Coast Guard and other authorities patrolling the water this holiday weekend remind boaters that operating under the influence is against the law.
Conservation officers across the country are taking part in “Operation Dry Water,” a Fourth of July campaign promoting safety while discouraging alcohol abuse on the water.
This time last year, Virginia State Police arrested five people for boating under the influence. Troopers also issued more than 600 warnings and citations.
Officials caution boaters and swimmers to call the police if they notice someone on the water is under the influence.
- Gov. Northam deflects calls to increase fans allowed at high school sports
- Gun-related crimes make for “deadly” 2020 in the City of Roanoke
- Cunane, No. 3 NC State top Virginia Tech 68-55 in ACCs
- Job numbers up in US, Biden says more needs to be done to help Americans
- Only 1 child died of flu this season – down from nearly 200