NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – A man was shot at BAE Systems Ship Repair in Norfolk late Saturday night.
Police spokesman Noel Lipieko confirmed on Monday that officers were dispatched to the business, located at 750 W. Berkley Avenue, around 11:20 p.m. for the report of a gunshot victim.
The man was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. His injuries were not life-threatening, Lipieko said.
This shooting is being investigated as an isolated incident.
Police say their investigation revealed that the victim was working on the top deck of a ship when he was shot in the back. The man told officers he heard what he thought were fireworks coming from the City of Portsmouth at the time that he was injured.
Detectives have not released any suspect information.
- Roanoke River wins third favorite urban kayaking spot in USA TODAY contest
- Chick-fil-A locations experiencing outage, taking cash payments only
- Police respond to robbery in northwest Roanoke with shots fired
- ‘Black box’ in Woods SUV could help in crash investigation
- Queen Elizabeth II calls vaccine ‘quite harmless’