(WAVY/WFXR) – As Virginia students prepare to return to the classroom, they will likely need to go shopping for back-to-school supplies and clothing, which can be expensive. But the commonwealth has a way to help.
The state is among a dozen or so that dedicates an entire weekend every year to tax-free shopping on qualified school supplies and much more!
A few years back, Virginia combined its sales tax holidays for back-to-school shopping, hurricane preparedness items and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products into one weekend.
This year, that 3-day tax-free weekend is Friday, Aug. 6 through Sunday, Aug. 8. Here are the details.
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.