(WAVY/WFXR) – As Virginia students prepare to return to the classroom, they will likely need to go shopping for back-to-school supplies and clothing, which can be expensive. But the commonwealth has a way to help.
The state is among a dozen or so that dedicates an entire weekend every year to tax-free shopping on qualified school supplies and much more!
A few years back, Virginia combined its sales tax holidays for back-to-school shopping, hurricane preparedness items and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products into one weekend.
This year, that 3-day tax-free weekend is Friday, Aug. 6 through Sunday, Aug. 8. Here are the details.
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list