RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) — The deadline to apply for the Virginia COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program is Friday, November 20. Those wishing for assistance can apply online at http://dss.virginia.gov/covideap or by phone at 1-833-829-2767. The application takes about 10 – 24 minutes to complete online.
The Virginia COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program aims to assist low-income households that would not typically be eligible for other energy assistance programs offered by the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) due to financial or vulnerable individual criteria, such as a household member who is age 60 or over, disabled, or under age six.
Eligible households will receive a one-time payment of $300 to help their immediate energy costs, including energy debt accumulated during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Through Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding, VDSS received $23,356,803, to support the establishment of the Virginia COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program and provide other energy assistance resources to eligible households.
Applications can be submitted online, through the COVID-19 Virginia Resources mobile app or
by phone, or until funds are exhausted. Eligibility criteria for assistance includes:
- Must be a resident of Virginia
- Must have a heating or cooling expense responsibility
- Must be either a United States citizen or an eligible immigrant
- A household’s monthly gross income must be less than the maximum allowed for the number of people in the home as follows:
- For a household size of one (1), maximum income is $2,720
- For a household size of two (2), maximum income is $3,558
- For a household size of three (3), maximum income is $4,395
- For a household size of four (4), maximum income is $5,232
- For a household size of five (5), maximum income is $6,069
- For a household size of six (6), maximum income is $6,907
- For each additional member after six (6), add $156
Households that have previously received crisis, fuel, or cooling assistance (except equipmentrelated services) from VDSS within the 12 months are not eligible to receive Virginia COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program benefits.
For questions or assistance regarding the Virginia COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program, visit http://www.dss.virginia.gov/covideap or contact 1-833-829-2767.
- Pinpoint Weather: A sunny start to the weekend with first taste of winter for some into early next week
- Pinpoint Weather: Mild and dry the rest of the weekend, rainy and windy on Monday
- Staff member tests positive for COVID-19 at George Washington High School
- Blacksburg business reacts to second round of Blacksburg Bucks
- Calling all angels – NRV organization asking for help with their Angel Tree