ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — A civil suit filed by the family of a northern Virginia man who was fatally shot by two U.S. Park Police officers during a stop-and-go chase three years ago has been put on hold, despite the family’s objections to the delay.
Twenty-five-year-old Bijan Ghaisar died after the November 2017 chase outside the nation’s capital.
Federal Judge Claude Hilton on Friday ordered a delay in the trial, which had been scheduled to begin next month. He said a stay is appropriate now that the two officers have been charged with manslaughter in state court. Hilton said the delay may provide a window to obtain testimony from the officers, who have invoked their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
- VSP: Danville man dead after Sunday morning crash in Pittsylvania County
- Body found behind fast-food restaurant in Henry County Monday morning
- John Dalton Intermediate switching to virtual learning Tuesday after sending students home Monday morning
- Alleghany Highlands Forecast
- New River Valley Forecast