BUCKINGHAM COUNTY, Va. (WRIC ) — Buckingham County Schools is looking into how an 11-year-old student was left on a school bus overnight.
Superintendent Dr. Daisy Hicks told 8News they got a call at 6:25 a.m. Friday from a mother looking for her child. The school district called the sheriff’s department and also contacted the bus driver and the student’s school.
The child did not show up to school Thursday, but the bus driver says the child was on the bus Thursday morning. The child was then found on the bus Friday morning, and is doing okay.
Dr. Hicks said there are mandatory checks to see if students are still on the bus that a driver must perform, and it’s still under investigation whether or not those checks were performed Thursday morning and afternoon.
The driver has been removed from their position pending an investigation.
8News has reached out to the Buckingham County Sheriff’s Office and is waiting to hear back.
- UPDATE: Jackson River Technical Center to remain closed until Monday due to COVID-19 case
- Monument Avenue residents file notice of appeal in Robert E. Lee statue lawsuit as Richmond judge restores injunction
- Tracking the Tropics: Disturbance has 80% chance of developing over the Caribbean
- More than 11,000 impacted by outages around southwest, central Virginia following Zeta’s weather
- AG Herring shares training video on voter intimidation protections with Virginia’s law enforcement, election officials