CHARLESTON, W.VA. (WFXR) – A rally took place Monday at the United Miner’s Union Headquarters in Charleston.
West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin was with union members celebrating the passage of the American Miners Act.
The bipartisan bill will secure pensions and healthcare for thousands of coal miners.
Senator Manchin has traveled through the state this past weekend to celebrate the early Christmas present, but miners aren’t looking at this as a gift but rather a promise that was made to them several years ago.
Miners at the rally say there is still work to be done in Washington, especially when it comes to bankruptcy laws, but – as miners say, it’s a great first step.
- Pedestrian struck over embankment in Forest Wednesday morning
- Incident along I-81 South in Wythe County closes lanes, delays traffic for miles
- Keep holiday gift-giving on budget with these companies that ship free
- Bedford County Public Schools delays start of second semester
- Millions plan on traveling for Thanksgiving despite coronavirus warnings