Officials: Stove fire at Roanoke County apartment causes $30,000 in damages, no injuries

News

ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) A cooking-related stove fire is to blame for an estimated $30,000 in damage to a second-story unit at the Villages at Garst Creek apartment complex, according to Roanoke County officials.

Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Department

Two adults – who are currently staying with family – were there at the time, but were not injured. The Red Cross is helping the family below, whose apartment received water damage.

Officials say the fire was brought under control in about 10 minutes, not before flames reached the cabinets above the stove.

Officials say Roanoke County Fire and Rescue responded at 2:30 p.m., receiving help from units from Back Creek, Clearbrook, Bent Mountain, and North County.

Roanoke County Fire and Rescue would like to remind everyone that any time you have anything on the stove, you should “stand by your pan.” The best way to put out a grease fire is to cover it with a lid that fits the pan.

Brian Clingenpeel – Community Outreach Coordinator, Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Department

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form

Download the WFXR News App