PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) ─ Pizza lovers may soon have to skip the pepperoni.
Two main reasons cited for the pepperoni shortage include the lack of employees at pork processing plants and a high demand for pizza, both of which are likely caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Like many businesses, pork processors have had to lay of hundreds of employees in order to cut costs due to the pandemic, forcing them to streamline operations.
So far, larger pizza chains haven’t been impacted by the shortage since they buy their ingredients through long-term contacts, according to Bloomberg.
- Miles-long southbound backup reported in Bland County at Big Walker Mountain Tunnel
- All eyes on QBs as Packers host Bucs for NFC championship
- Chiefs’ Reid, Bills’ McDermott to match wits for AFC title
- VDH Friday update: Virginia sees 4,147 new COVID-19 cases as total deaths surpass 6,000
- Flu rate drops dramatically due to COVID-19 precautions