EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (KTVI) – Police are investigating after a 4-year-old accidentally shot and injured his 8-year-old brother in Illinois on Sunday.
Investigators say the two children were playing with a loaded handgun when it accidentally discharged at an East St. Louis home around 10:30 p.m.
The 8-year-old boy is hospitalized in stable condition.
According to police sources, the children were apparently shooting a video.
It’s unclear how the children obtained the weapon, which reportedly belongs to a family member. An adult was inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Police said it’s unclear whether the parents will face charges. The investigation is ongoing.
Police urged parents to keep weapons out of the reach of children and to always have a safety lock.
- Roanoke citizens may participate in Jan. 19 City Council sessions by phone, email
- Virginia Tech ramps up COVID-19 testing as students head back to campus
- Post Malone donates 10,000 pairs of Crocs to frontline medical workers across the country
- Rosie’s Gaming Emporium® to donate $1,000 to local charities each week in 2021
- Police investigating after some lawmakers claim Capitol tours were given to rioters ahead of breach