(WFXR) – The Southgate project to extend the Mountain Valley Pipeline through Southside into North Carolina is moving forward.
The project would run 70 miles from Chatham towards Interstate 40 into the Tar Heel State.
A release from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission says there will be some adverse environmental impacts from the project, including soil erosion, but those would be reduced if pipeline workers follow proper steps.
The Southgate extension is expected to cost between $450 million and $500 million.
- Roanoke College poll: Virginians prefer Democrats to President Trump
- Virginians, West Virginians, NASA remember Katherine Johnson, a barrier-breaking NASA mathematician
- Rain returns to start the work week
- Harvey Weinstein found guilty in landmark #MeToo moment
- WATCH LIVE at 1 p.m.: Kobe Bryant memorial service at L.A.’s Staples Center