BEDFORD, Va. (WFXR) — The mother of Raymond Wood, the Lynchburg teenager stabbed to death in Bedford County in March 2017, tearfully testified at the sentencing hearing for Kevin Soto Bonilla.
Bonilla is one of the MS-13 gang members convicted in Wood’s murder. Six men in total have been charged in connection with Wood’s death.
Marjorie Stagno, Wood’s mother, said during her victim impact statement that holidays without her son were difficult. She told the jury how Wood would make her handmade cards for Mother’s Day and that he enjoyed dressing up for Halloween.
“No mother should have to see pictures of her child brutally murdered like that,” she told members of the jury.
Stagno told jurors her birthday is March 17. Wood was killed March 27, 2017. “There’s no more to celebrate,” she said.
“All I have left is his urn,” Stagno said. “His ashes. And I can’t even keep it at my place because it’s still too devastating.”
- UNC beats Miami 94-71 to end 5-game skid; Williams surpasses Smith in all-time wins
- Vehicle removed from Franklin County creek after hitting black ice
- Virginia Tech completes first study on concussions among youth football players
- More than 100 students and faculty from Liberty University join March for Life
- 3 must-visit foodie stops during Super Bowl week in Miami