UPDATE 3:46 p.m.: According to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), the right lane of eastbound Route 58 near Route 697 will remain closed until repairs can be made.
Drivers should expect alternating lane closures during daytime hours.
Weather permitting, VDOT will schedule work starting the week of June 29 to remove and replace damaged pavement. Repairs are expected to be completed before July 4.
UPDATE 11:56 a.m.: Fire departments across Patrick County and even Henry County responded to Wednesday evening’s tractor-trailer fire on U.S. Route 58.
According to the Horsepasture Volunteer Fire Department, the tractor-trailer was hauling containers full of tiki torches. With such a volatile load, the fire proved difficult to extinguish without some extra help.
Fire officials say the following emergency response agencies assisted in putting out the fire:
- Ridgeway Fire Department
- Patrick Henry Fire Department
- Fieldale Fire Department
- Collinsville Fire Department
- Axton Fire Department
- Henry County Public Safety
- Patrick County Fire/EMS
- Woolwine Fire Department
- Moorefield Store Fire Department
- Stuart Fire Department
- Dry Fork Fire Department
- Patrick Springs Fire Department
- Smith River Fire/Rescue
- CCDF Fire Department
- Horsepasture Fire Department
- Horsepasture Rescue Squad
- Jeb Stuart Rescue Squad
- Virginia State Police
- Patrick County Sheriff’s Department
- Patrick County Special Operations Team
- Fulp’s Wrecker Service & Hazmat Team
“The team effort between counties and departments to keep the public, crews, and environment safe were extraordinary! Thank you to everyone who responded and the tireless effort that you put in,” the Horsepasture Volunteer Fire Department wrote on Facebook Thursday morning.
While the remains of Wednesday evening’s vehicle fire have been cleared from U.S. Route 58, VDOT says the eastbound right lane and right shoulder will stay closed near Route 697 and Midway Drive until July 16 for emergency road work.
UPDATE 5:19 a.m.: VDOT says only the eastbound right lane and right shoulder are still closed on U.S. Route 58 at the scene of the Patrick County vehicle fire.
In addition, eastbound traffic is no longer being diverted of U.S. Route 58 near Route 697 and Midway Drive, according to VDOT.
PATRICK COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Crews reopened the westbound lanes on U.S. Route 58 following Wednesday night’s vehicle fire in Patrick County, but eastbound traffic is still being detoured as of Thursday morning.
According to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), all eastbound lanes are closed on U.S. Route 58 near Route 697 and Midway Drive.
Traffic is being detoured onto Golf Course Road (Route 832) and back onto U.S. Route 58 East, VDOT says.
There is no word on when the lanes will be reopened.
- VDH Monday update: More than 900 new COVID-19 cases reported while total deaths reach 3,581
- Crash shuts down lane of Route 116 coming into Roanoke County
- Boil water notice in place in Pittsylvania County following Chatham water break
- FBI investigating fire set in Boston ballot dropbox
- Tracking the Tropics: Zeta gaining strength, will likely become hurricane