National law enforcement appreciation day is Wednesday, January 9, and it recognizes law enforcement agencies for their service to the public.
In the light of recent negativity directed toward law enforcement nationally, officials believe there is a need to show law enforcement officers that citizens recognize the difficult and sometimes impossible career they have chosen, in public service the community.
Citizens who appreciate law enforcement and are discouraged about the negative attention being given to law enforcement are encouraged to take time and show their support.
Here are some ways that citizens can show their support:
• Wear blue clothing in support of law enforcement.
• Send a card of support to your local police department or state agency.
• Share a story about a positive law enforcement experience on social media.
• Ask children in your community to write letters in support of law enforcement.
• Participate in Project Blue Light – Proudly display your blue light in support of law enforcement.
• Organize an event or a rally in support of your law enforcement officers.
• Advertise your support through local media outlets/billboards.
• Post the public service announcement supplied by C.O.P.S. to your organization’s webpage or social media pages.
Most importantly, if you see a police officer, thank a police officer.