LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Police found drugs and guns during an investigation into a Dec. 2019 murder in Lynchburg.
A shooting on Dec. 28, 2019, left Darius Saunders Jr., 31 of Lynchburg, dead. A 15-year-old boy was also shot in the arm. The 15-year-old was arrested and charged with second degree murder.
The search warrant obtained by WFXR News says police responded to 701 Maple Street where officers found the 15-year-old in the front yard. He told police an unknown person attempted to rob him while he was trying to purchase marijuana.
“He then took the firearm (revolver) from the person robbing him and shot the subject with it,” the warrant says, adding he also shot himself in the arm and threw the gun into the woods after running down “Hazel Street, off of Maple Street.”
Police found the gun, which had two fired shell casings. Officers in the area also found Saunders in “the open doorway at 621 Gum Street.” Police also found “suspected marijuana,” several cell phones, and a blood trail which the warrant said led to the area where the 15-year-old was discovered.
The search warrant inventory says a digital scale, jeans with “red stains,” and a “projectile” were found in addition to the bags of a “green plant-like material” and “loose green plant-like material” at the Gum Street scene.
- Daytona 500 resumes without president, pomp, packed house
- Duke rises, Louisville spirals in latest men’s AP Top 25 rankings
- Part of $1.3 million in computer science education state grants heading to southwest region
- Live at 1pm ET: Analysis, updated odds to win rain-postponed Daytona 500
- Two dead in house fire early Monday morning in Danville