GILES COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Virginia State Police say a motorcyclist is dead after crashing into a stopped police vehicle in Giles County on Friday night.
According to police, a 2020 Harley-Davidson FXS was traveling west on Route 460 (Virginia Avenue) in the Town of Narrows around 10 p.m. on Friday, July 24. However, as the motorcycle approached the intersection of Route 460 and 3rd Street, officials say it swerved to the left to get around the traffic stopped in the westbound lanes before losing control.
The motorcycle reportedly rolled over onto its side and struck the side of a Town of Narrows Police vehicle that was stopped in the roadway with its emergency equipment activated.
The motorcyclist — identified by Virginia State Police as 28-year-old Michael A. Acord of Rich Creek — was thrown from the motorcycle. Even though police say he was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, he died at the scene.
The crash is part of an ongoing investigation.
- Are you smarter than a high schooler? Get paid $1K to see if you can score higher on SAT
- Washington and Lee women’s lacrosse advances to NCAA Elite Eight
- Buying out a car lease: Is it a good idea?
- Lynchburg Hornets baseball drop winners bracket NCAA tournament game
- Liberty Flames softball eliminated in NCAA Tournament