BEDFORD COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A Huddleston man is dead following a crash with a tractor-trailer in far northeast Bedford County on Monday.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) originally reported the northbound right lane and right shoulder were closed on U.S. Route 221 near Cottontown Road and Route 621 East in Forest as a result of the crash.
However, as of 12:34 p.m. on Monday, June 29, VDOT says the accident has been cleared and traffic is flowing again.
Virginia State Police on scene tell WFXR News that Horace William Ellis of Huddleston ran into the back end of a Penske tractor-trailer just before 10 a.m. He died at the scene. There was no one else in the Volkswagen driven by Ellis. The truck driver was not injured.
Police say the crash investigation could take weeks to complete.
- Wythe County deputy shot in back: “Despite the bad, there is still a tremendous amount of good in the world and for that we are thankful.”
- Northam says Virginia won’t move forward with students in schools if the state can’t stay in Phase 3
- Roanoke City proclaims 2020 the “Year of Color, Light, and Motion” in honor of artist Dorothy Gillespie
- Video captures man breaking into Denver garage, home while family sleeps
- Security guard charged with murder after fighting with customer over face mask rules