RADFORD, Va. (WFXR) — WFXR News spoke with a representative for the Radford Police Department on Monday and confirmed the identity of the 2-year-old girl who died in Radford last week. WFXR News is not releasing her name at this time.
According to the Radford City Police Department, officers responded to a call for emergency medical services in the 100 block of 9th Street for an unresponsive individual at 2:12 a.m. on Friday, April 17. Radford Fire and Emergency Medical Services transported the individual to the New River Valley Medical Center, police say.
Investigators reportedly discovered there was a domestic incident involving a weapon. After obtaining warrants, the Radford City Emergency Response Team arrested 33-year-old Andrew Johnathan Byrd without incident at 8:25 a.m. on Friday, according to police.
The department says Byrd has been charged with abduction, strangulation, and assault and battery of a household member. Byrd was taken to the New River Valley Regional Jail without bond.
On Sunday, police reported the investigation into the domestic incident had become a death investigation involving a juvenile.
Police said Monday that the victim and Byrd are not related.
- Glenvar girls win the VHSL Class 2 Indoor Track Title
- Liberty Trio Earns ASUN’s Top Honors
- Mike Hedrick resigns as Patrick Henry head girls basketball coach
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Route 220 Business SB in Henry County closed due to crash
- Black Virginians four times as likely to be cited for marijuana possession