LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) –The University of Lynchburg will be the only college in the Lynchburg area to offer Africana Studies when it launches the new major in the fall of 2020.
Students will explore and study the lives of Africans and people in the African diaspora, according to a university statement.
Course offerings include Slavery and Race in the Early Americas, Modern Multicultural Literature to Jazz, and the Origins of Rock Music.
Africana Studies requires 30 credits, a capstone project, and an internship or study abroad in South Africa or Uganda, the university said.
The university will host a launch party to celebrate the new major on Tuesday, March 17, from 3 to 5 p.m. in Schewel Hall’s Flint Family Lobby on the University of Lynchburg campus, 1501 Lakeside Dr.
- College students in the New River Valley discuss COVID-19 impacts on travel plans
- Hokies All Access – Boston College recap, Wake Forest preview, Hokies get out to vote push, Virginia Tech athletics #Love Initiative
- Roanoke City Schools extends free meal service to the weekend
- Dems, GOP want stimulus package deal before Election Day
- NAACP weighs in on VMI investigation