Unattended cooking results in Wednesday morning house fire in Danville

Local News
(Photo: Courtesy Danville Fire Department)

(Photo: Courtesy Danville Fire Department)

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Firefighters responded to a house fire in Danville Wednesday morning that left the kitchen significantly damaged due to unattended cooking.

According to the Danville Fire Department, crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 616 Bradley Road at 9:53 a.m. on Wednesday, June 3. The department says the first units arrived at the scene in approximately three minutes and found moderate smoke coming from the back of a small, single-story house.

When firefighters entered the kitchen area, they discovered it was on fire and managed to quickly extinguish the flames, officials say. According to the department, crews set up a fan to ventilate the smoke out of the house and remained on scene for approximately one hour and 20 minutes.

The house was empty at the time of the fire, but the American Red Cross is reportedly offering to assist the house’s occupant. The fire — which officials determined was caused by unattended cooking — damaged the kitchen significantly while the rest of the house sustained smoke and heat damage.

“The DFD reminds everyone the number one cause of fire in Danville and across the United States is unattended cooking, the Danville Fire Department says. “Please remain in the kitchen while cooking, especially on the stove top.”

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form