Unattended candle deemed the cause of house fire in Danville

Local News

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Fire officials say an unattended candle caused a house fire in Danville Tuesday night.

At 9:52 p.m. on Tuesday, June 2, the Danville Fire Department says firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire at 135 New Street. By 9:56 p.m., the crew arrived and found a one-story house with heavy smoke and fire coming from the back. However, everyone living at the house was already outside of the building, officials say.

According to the department, firefighters tracked the fire to the back bedroom and brought it under control by 10:15 p.m.

The bedroom sustained heavy fire damage while the rest of the house reportedly sustained moderate heat, smoke, and water damage. The Fire Marshal’s office determined an unattended candle was the cause of the fire.

Fire officials say there were no reports of injuries, and the house’s occupants are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form